Thursday, May 5, 2011

Something is rotten in the state of BHS!

Given the three movies, there are two that give me a tough time in choosing my favorite Hamlet film. Between Branagh's and Zeffirelli's, my favorite film so far is Branagh's. 

At first I didn't quite enjoy Branagh's, because I didn't find the character, Hamlet, to match Shakespeare's vision. He was too histrionic, instead of the brooding, conservative Hamlet I found most in Zeffirelli's. What won me over was the usage of colors in this film. Although it may not be the style of the setting Shakespeare envisioned, it was brilliantly used to contrast Hamlet from the rest of the world, and since the director decided to stay loyal to Shakespeare's dialogue, the lively feeling and colorful setting helps those who didn't read Shakespeare. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the color did help in contrasting Hamlet against the rest of the world, but does this really help those who didn't read Shakespeare? If someone had not read Hamlet, he or she would not realize the true setting of Hamlet, dark, gloomy and dreary. Considering you said Hamlet should be conservative, which I agree with, I also believe the correct setting should have been used.

    ReplyDelete